This is what I like to call the world's best chocolate cake - or possibly the reason Kenji married me. He is a chocolate cake kind of guy. I've heard many stories from his childhood of him asking for a "chocolate cake" for his birthday, only to get a chocolate cake with some kind of non-chocolate frosting on it, which according to him, ruined the deal and left him in tears. So I knew I'd need to have a mean chocolate cake with chocolate frosting recipe to make him a happy man. This is that cake... it's adapted from the original Hershey's chocolate recipe and it is simply a classic!
Homemade Chocolate Cake
2 cups organic cane sugar
1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour (I love King Arthur brand)
3/4 cup natural, unsweetened baking cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans.
2) Stir together all dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat on med speed for about 2 minutes.
3) Stir in boiling water to make thin batter. Pour into cake pans.
4) Bake approx. 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for about 20 minutes, then turn onto baking racks to cool completely. Frost with chocolate frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
3/4 cup organic unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2/3 cup natural, unsweetened baking cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup 2% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1) Soften butter and blend in cocoa. Add half of powdered sugar and half of milk, beating well. Add remaining powdered sugar, milk, and the vanilla and continue beating until thick and creamy.
Frost cake and enjoy!