Spiced pumpkin cake is one my favorite things ever for big family breakfasts around the holidays... and it disappears so quickly! This recipe is vegan if you opt not to use cream cheese (or use Tofutti vegan cream cheese) in the frosting, and it's almost as good without frosting too. Enjoy!
6 tablespoons ground flax seed
4 tablespoons warm water
1 2/3 cups cane sugar
1 cup grapeseed oil (can substitute canola, vegetable, etc)
15 oz pumpkin puree
2 cups all purpose flour
2 heaping tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix ground flax seed and warm water in large bowl. Let stand a few minutes until thickened.
- Meanwhile, grease a 9" x 13" cake pan.
- Add oil, pumpkin puree, and sugar to flax seed mixture and beat with whisk until smooth and creamy.
- In separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and stir well.
- Pour into pan, spreading to smooth batter and bake approx 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, such as Smart Balance Whipped
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Beat cream cheese and margarine at high speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and slowly beat in sugar until smooth.